Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The shortest distance between two points...

I once designed the sets for a musical titled "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum." It is a farcical tale of love and mayhem and all that comes from things not going according to "the plan." I am realizing more and more how much truth there is in fiction. I am also recognizing that allowing for these detours can sometimes create the best path (even if not the shortest) to get there.

Many of you who followed my story in "A Tale of Two Cities" may have come to realize I have recently retitled it "Going Around My Elbow" (hmm, looks like the title of this blog, too!). There are several reasons for the change. First, the journey has brought me back to North Carolina, albeit a little farther west. And second, there are hundreds of books titled "A Tale of Two Cities" whereas there is only one titled "Going Around My Elbow."

For those of you not familiar with this charming southern phrase, "going around my elbow to get to my thumb" is what you say when you took the long way to get to what you wanted (even if you didn't really know what you wanted in the first place). This new blog will pay tribute to this phrase by reflecting on past and current events that live up to it. Some of these will be my own, while others will be based on observations of the rest of the world.

So, if you want to get caught up, click on the book cover on the right of this page and pick up a copy of the story that started it all. A four year detour to find my way home. And, my family's secret to surviving just about anything: love.

After several months hiatus from blogging, it is great to be back.

- Ken

No comments:

Post a Comment